A story for every victim

James Dion Batiste, 46

James Dion Batiste, a 46-year-old black man, was shot and killed Friday, July 31, in the 14400 block of South Loness Avenue in unincorporated Compton, according to Los Angeles County coroner records. 

Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department deputies were called to the scene shortly after midnight after receiving a call about a gunshot victim. 

When deputies arrived they found a man later identified as Batiste lying inside the doorway of a residence with gunshot wounds in his upper torso, said Det. Ray Lugo. Batiste was taken to a local hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 12:36 a.m., according to coroner’s records. 

A second man, who also lived at the residence, was found with four gunshot wounds in his torso. He was taken to the hospital and is expected to survive, Lugo said. 

Investigators believe the two men shot each other during a dispute, Lugo said. 

“We believe he (Batiste) was the aggressor in this case,” Lugo said. “We are still investigating, but it appears the other victim may have shot in self defense.”

Batiste had been released from jail a week earlier, Lugo said, and was staying at the residence. Friends allegedly told investigators that he had been acting strangely in the days prior to the shooting, Lugo said, and frequently seemed upset.  

Anyone with information about the incident is asked to call Lugo or Det. Ramirez at the sheriff’s  Homicide Bureau, (323) 890-5500. Those wishing to remain anonymous should call Crime Stoppers at (800) 222-8477. 

Jeanette Marantos 

Share a memory or thought about James Dion Batiste

Before you post, here are some answers to frequently asked questions:

Remember, all posts are approved by a Times staffer. Profanity and personal attacks will not be approved.

  Required
  Required
Email addresses are not republished or used for marketing purposes.