One charged with murder in shooting of 20-year-old Duarte man
A Duarte man has been charged with murder in the April 1 shooting of Cristian Frank Sanchez, according to authorities.
Ricardo Anthony Resendez, 28, was arrested Aug. 15, according to Los Angeles County Superior Court records. Investigators think Sanchez was killed during a “narcotics transaction gone bad,” Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Lt. Joe Mendoza said.
“We believe the two men met up in the house to do a transaction, and the victim ended up dead,” Mendoza said.
Sanchez, 20, was shot in a vacant house in the 2600 block of Calle Martos in Duarte on April 1. Neighbors called 911 at 4:20 p.m. to report a possible burglary because they heard voices in the building, Mendoza said.
The house had been vacant for some time, but people had been using it as a place to hang out, Mendoza said. When deputies arrived, they found Sanchez with a gunshot wound to the chest. He was pronounced dead at the scene at 5:37 p.m.
Resendez is being held in lieu of $2-million bail. He is scheduled for arraigned Sept. 20.
Anyone with information is asked to call the sheriff’s Homicide Bureau at (323) 890-5500. Those wishing to remain anonymous should call Crime Stoppers at (800) 222-8477.