A story for every victim

Two charged in 2017 double homicide in Florence

Two men have been charged in double slaying last year in front of a market in Florence, authorities said.

Jesus Cebreros, 21, and Miguel Angel Alvarez, 23, were each charged Feb. 5 with two counts of murder, according to the Los Angeles County district attorney’s office and court records.

Alvarez was also charged with two counts of possession of a firearm by a felon, prosecutors said. The defendants are believed to be gang members, said Los Angeles Police Det. Chris Barling.

About 8 p.m. on Saturday, May 27, 2017, Freddy Orlando Mendoza, 27, and Geovanny Antonio Mendez-Gomez, 24, were standing outside a market near South Main Street and West 77th Street when a gunman walked up and began shooting at the two, police previously told The Times.

Anonymous tipsters combined with surveillance footage taken from the crime scene tied the two men to the killing, Barling said. A dark-colored sedan seen fleeing the area tied Alvarez to the killing as well, he said.

About 8 p.m. on Saturday, May 27, 2017, Freddy Orlando Mendoza, 27, and Geovanny Antonio Mendez-Gomez, 24, were standing outside a market near South Main Street and West 77th Street when a gunman walked up and began shooting at the two, police previously told The Times.

The shooter ran to a waiting vehicle.

Cebreros and Alvarez, both Latinos, are due in court April 9 for an arraignment, according to online court records.

Contact the Homicide Report. Follow @nicolesantacruz and @latimeshomicide on Twitter.

Post a comment

Before you post, here are some answers to frequently asked questions:

Remember, all posts are approved by a Times staffer. Profanity and personal attacks will not be approved.

  Required
  Required
Email addresses are not republished or used for marketing purposes.

Three reader comments