Luis Enrique Barba, 46
Luis Enrique Barba, a 46-year-old Latino, died Wednesday, June 1, after he was stabbed in the 5000 block of West 111th Place in Lennox, according to Los Angeles County coroner’s records.
Barba was in his home with two friends about 7:40 p.m. when the men got into a disagreement, Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Lt. Steve Jauch said.
The youngest of the three, Ary Mizraim Lopez-Gonzalez, a 24-year-old Latino from Lennox, allegedly stabbed Barba and the other man, a 61-year-old Latino, and then ran out of the house, Jauch said.
Investigators believe they found the knife used in the stabbings later that evening, in the frontyard outside Barba’s home, Jauch said.
Barba was taken to a hospital where he was pronounced dead at 11:53 p.m., according to coroner’s records. The other man was taken to a hospital and is expected to survive, Jauch said.
About four hours after the incident, deputies received a call from a man a few blocks from Barba’s home who said he had been the victim of an assault. The man had cuts and scrapes on his body, Jauch said, and was ultimately identified as Lopez-Gonzalez, the suspect in the stabbings.
Lopez-Gonzalez was treated at a local hospital and then arrested on suspicion of murder.
On Monday, the Los Angeles County district attorney’s office charged Lopez-Gonzalez with murder and attempted murder. He is scheduled to be arraigned June 29 at the Los Angeles County Superior Court’s Inglewood Courthouse, said spokesman Ricardo Santiago.
Jauch wouldn’t say what Lopez-Gonzalez told deputies about how he was injured. “It doesn’t appear he was stabbed, and his injuries were not significant,” Jauch said, “but I don’t want to go into details.”
Anyone with information is asked to call the Sheriff's Department Homicide Bureau at (323) 890-5500. Those wishing to remain anonymous should call Crime Stoppers at (800) 222-8477.