A story for every victim

Man convicted in 2014 fatal stabbing of girlfriend

A 51-year-old man was convicted last week of beating his girlfriend on multiple occasions then fatally stabbing the 35-year-old woman in 2014 after she ended the relationship, according to the Los Angeles County district attorney’s office.

A jury deliberated for less than two days before finding Mark Anthony Little, a black man, guilty of first-degree murder June 12. He was also convicted of two counts of corporal injury, one count each of dissuading a witness from reporting a crime, simple battery of a cohabitant and criminal threats. Jurors also found weapon allegations true.

Little was in relationship with Deborah Ann Treptor for about two years and lived with the woman.  Prosecutors said Little severely beat Treptor multiple times between December 2013 and April 2014, and Little threatened to kill the woman if she reported the abuse.

On April 29, 2014, Treptor broke up with Little, and Little moved out.

Little tried to get back together with Treptor and told family that he would not allow her to leave him.

Shortly before 1 a.m. two weeks later, Little went to Treptor’s Watts home, walked into her room and stabbed her twice in the neck.

A fellow resident at the transitional housing center found Treptor and called 911.

During the trial, prosecutors displayed surveillance video that showed Little running away after the attack. Other evidence included discarded gloves with both Treptor’s blood and Little’s DNA.

Little faces a maximum sentence of 122 years to life in prison and is scheduled to be sentenced July 20 at the Compton Branch of the Los Angeles County Superior Court.

-- Nicole Santa Cruz

Post a comment

Before you post, here are some answers to frequently asked questions:

Remember, all posts are approved by a Times staffer. Profanity and personal attacks will not be approved.

  Required
  Required
Email addresses are not republished or used for marketing purposes.

Three reader comments