A story for every victim

Omar Munoz Jr., 25

Omar Munoz Jr. (2019-08-15)

Omar Munoz Jr., a 25-year-old Latino, was fatally shot Thursday, Aug. 15, in the 300 block of Harps Street in San Fernando, according to Los Angeles County Medical Examiner-Coroner's records. 

Munoz had moved his pickup nearer to his home around 9:30 p.m., and was standing in the street when a car drove up and someone inside began shooting, said Los Angeles County Sheriff's Lt. Derrick Alfred.  

It's not known whether Munoz had a conversation with the people in the car before the was shot, Alfred said. No one reported seeing the shooting, but some witnesses reported seeing a light-colored sedan speeding from the area, heading west on Harps Street, Alfred said. 

Munoz was pronounced dead at the scene at 9:47 p.m., according to coroner's records. The cause of death was listed as multiple gunshot wounds. 

Investigators don't have a motive for the shooting, Alfred said. 

There are known gang members who live in the area, "and it may have been he was mistaken for a gangster, but we don't know," Alfred said.  "We do know he wasn't a gangster. He was a hard-working, 25-year-old father of three."

Munoz went to San Fernando High School and worked as a receiver in a warehouse, his fiancée, Deanna Dellacqua, told the San Fernando Sun.  

The two had been a couple for seven years, Dellacqua said, and their children are 6, 4 and 3. She said Munoz had just proposed to her the night before he was killed.

"His life was work, home, kids and me," she said. "He was a loving person, a loving father. ... He was a rock, our protector. He's not here anymore and it's killing me."

Anyone with information is asked to call the sheriff's Homicide Bureau at (323) 890-5500. Those wishing to remain anonymous should call Crime Stoppers at (800) 222-8477.

Contact the Homicide Report. Follow @latimeshomicide on Twitter.

Share a memory or thought about Omar Munoz Jr.

Before you post, here are some answers to frequently asked questions:

Remember, all posts are approved by a Times staffer. Profanity and personal attacks will not be approved.