A story for every victim

Man sentenced to life in prison in fatal 2015 Halloween shooting in Downey

A 37-year-old man was sentenced last month to life in prison without the possibility of parole in the Halloween drive-by shooting of a teenager in Bellflower more than three years ago.

Jesus Chavez and Brian Jesse Altamirez were found guilty Oct. 24, 2018, of one count of first-degree murder with the special circumstance allegation that the two discharged a gun from a vehicle intentionally at another person with the intent to inflict death, according to the Los Angeles County district attorney’s office.

Altamirez, 23, was also found guilty of one felony count each of solicitation to dissuade a witness from testifying and dissuading a witness by force or threat, prosecutors said.

Altamirez is scheduled to be sentenced June 25, and also faces life in prison without the possibility of parole.

On Oct. 31, 2015, Siale'uvea "Charlie" Sitani, 17, was standing in front of a mobile home park in the 16100 block of Bellflower Boulevard when Chavez shot at Sitani with a shotgun from a car, prosecutors said.

Authorities arrested Chavez a day later.

Prosecutors said the gun was provided by Altamirez.

Post a comment

Before you post, here are some answers to frequently asked questions:

Remember, all posts are approved by a Times staffer. Profanity and personal attacks will not be approved.

  Required
  Required
Email addresses are not republished or used for marketing purposes.