No gap in 'Grim Sleeper' killings? Police believe alleged serial killer slayed more women
Detectives investigating the alleged South L.A. serial killer known as the "Grim Sleeper" said Thursday they believe he may have slain more women.
Authorities said they have now connected the suspect, Lonnie Franklin Jr., to two additional homicides. Officials declined to provide details about the crimes but said they occurred in the 1990s and involved women in the South L.A. area. Franklin has not been charged with these new killings and has pleaded not guilty to killing 10 people.
Investigators originally thought there was a 13-year gap in the killings, but they have now linked two more deaths to the suspect, saying that those slayings took place during the gap period.
The "Grim Sleeper" got his moniker because he allegedly killed seven South L.A. women between 1985 and 1988 before appearing to abruptly stop. Police said the killings resumed in 2002, with a killing that year, another in 2003 and a third in 2007.
"I don't think there is a gap," said LAPD Det. Dennis Kilcoyne, who has been leading the investigation. "We are continuing to examine many, many old cases now we know Mr. Franklin's identity. We are trying to put together other cases."
What do you think of the new police theory that the "Grim Sleeper" continued to kill during what was previously thought to be a 13 year gap?
Reporters Andrew Blankstein and Richard Winton have more on the story: 'Grim Sleeper' may not have been sleeping, say LAPD officials probing serial killings
Photo: LAPD homicide Det. Dennis Kilcoyne, who heads the Grim Sleeper task force, with mug shots of suspect Lonnie David Franklin Jr. Credit: Gary Friedman / Los Angeles Times