A story for every victim

Ricardo Torres, 28

Ricardo Torres, a 28-year-old man, was fatally shot on Tuesday, Oct. 29, at a home in the 2700 block of East 7th Street in Long Beach, according to Los Angeles County medical examiner-coroner records. 

Torres, a resident of Inglewood, was among about 30 people attending a Halloween-themed birthday party at the home when at least one gunman attacked. At about 10:45 p.m., a  shooter, in dark clothing with his face concealed, began firing into the backyard of the home from a rear alley, striking 12 people. 

Three men — Torres; Melvin Williams II, 35, of Gardena; and Maurice Dawayne Poe Jr., 25, of Long Beach  —  were pronounced dead at the scene, according to a news release from the Long Beach Police Department. 

Nine other guests — seven females and two males ranging in age from 20 to 49 — were injured and taken to a hospital, including the young woman whose birthday was being celebrated, according to the Long Beach Press-Telegram. The victims were Asian, Latino and black coworkers with their family and friends, the Los Angeles Times reported.  

According to the Press-Telegram, Torres worked at a local, unnamed, company, where he had been employed for about six months.  

A week after the shooting, on Nov. 5, the party's host Daniel Chan and his Cambodian family invited Buddhist monks into their home to pray for the dead and injured in a ceremony that was attended by city officials and friends and families of the victims, The Times reported.  

Chan and his family moved out of the house two days later, according to the Press-Telegram. "Every time I'm here, I can't breathe," Chan told the news outlet. 

Police investigators said it was unclear whether more than one shooter was involved. The perpetrator, or perpetrators, fled in a dark-colored vehicle immediately after the shooting, according to authorities, and was still at large on Nov. 19. Los Angeles County and the city of Long Beach each contributed toward a $30,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the suspect or suspects, The Times reported. 

"This is a tragic incident that is not at all reflective of our community," Long Beach Police Chief Robert Luna said in the news release. "We are committed to working tirelessly to bring those responsible to justice and provide the victims with the services they need."

The shooting came on the heels of another incident involving multiple victims in Long Beach. 

In an Oct. 23 shooting, Manuel Marquez, 44, an employee of the Bottoms Up Sports Bar, was killed after a gunman opened fire in the bar in the 1700 block of Artesia Boulevard. The suspected gunman, Delfon Garnell Kinney Sr., 48, a longtime Disneyland employee, also died after he was shot at by a bar patron and a Long Beach police officer. Investigators have not released information about a motive in that shooting. 

Anyone with information about the Oct. 29 shooting is asked to call Long Beach homicide Dets. Mark Mattia or Donald Collier at (562) 570-7244. Those wishing to remain anonymous should call Crime Stoppers at (800) 222-8477. 

Contact the Homicide Report. Follow @latimeshomicide on Twitter. 

Do you have information to share about the life of Ricardo Torres ? The Homicide Report needs your help. Please fill out this form or e-mail us at homicidereport@latimes.com.

Share a memory or thought about Ricardo Torres

Before you post, here are some answers to frequently asked questions:

Remember, all posts are approved by a Times staffer. Profanity and personal attacks will not be approved.

  Required
  Required
Email addresses are not republished or used for marketing purposes.