A 43-year-old man was charged Monday in the killing of a woman whose body was found behind a wall in a Lomita apartment last year, according to the Los Angeles County district attorney’s office.
Randolph Garbutt, a black man, is scheduled to be arraigned March 1 in L.A. County Superior Court in Torrance.
Garbutt has been charged with one count of murder with the allegation that he used a hammer to kill Raven Campbell, a 37-year-old woman who was reported missing in June 2009, according to prosecutors.
Campbell died of blunt-force trauma to the head, authorities said.
Campbell’s remains were found last summer after detectives received a tip leading them to an apartment in unincorporated Lomita. In July, authorities searched the home, which was occupied by another family, and found repaired drywall behind the stairs.
Cadaver dogs found human remains, which were later identified as Campbell ...
California Department of Motor Vehicles officials have stopped releasing the photographs of dead people, changing a longstanding practice that allowed news organizations access to the images.
The decision, according to the DMV, was prompted by dozens of national and international requests for photos of the 14 victims of the San Bernardino terrorist attack in December.
“The DMV is also concerned for family members who must cope with the loss of someone they love, and wants to respect their privacy,” the department said in a statement.
In the case of the terrorism victims, photos of all the dead were quickly available from family and friends. But in many other cases, the DMV often was the most reliable source of a verifiable image.
The Los Angeles Times since has made at least three requests for photographs through the California Public Records Act that were denied by the department.
The denial is linked ...
A fourth person was charged last week with killing a Downey real estate agent in a home invasion robbery in January, authorities said.
Michael Harrod, a 24-year-old from Anaheim, pleaded not guilty Feb. 2 to murder, home invasion robbery and first-degree burglary with the person present, according to the Los Angeles County district attorney’s office. Harrod is a white man, according to online sheriff's department records.
Three other men have also been charged in the crime.
Harrod, who is related to a longtime friend of the victim, Jim Rudometkin, 59, had known him “for some period of time,” said Downey Police Sgt. Kevin McCaster.
Harrod was aware that Rudometkin was in the process of moving from his childhood home into an apartment, McCaster said.
“They believed him to be of some wealth, and possibly an easy target since he wouldn’t be there,” McCaster said.
Investigators believe Harrod ...
Andre Alexander Howard, a 23-year-old black man, was fatally shot Saturday, Feb. 6, in the 3400 block of West 67th Street in Hyde Park, according to Los Angeles County coroner’s records.
About 12:45 p.m., Howard was standing in the area when a person rode up on a bicycle, LAPD Det. Chris Barling said.
There was a small verbal exchange, then the man pulled out a gun and shot Howard.
Howard ran east and collapsed at the back door of a beauty salon, Barling said.
He was pronounced dead at the scene at 1 p.m., according to coroner’s records.
So far, the gunman has been described as a Latino in his late teens or early 20s, Barling said.
The killing does not appear to be racially motivated, he said.
Anyone with information is asked to call the Criminal Gang Homicide Division at (323) 786-5113. Those ...
Samuel White, a 44-year-old black man, was shot and killed Saturday, Feb. 6, near South Broadway and West 93rd Street in Broadway-Manchester, according to Los Angeles County coroner’s records.
About 9:30 a.m., White was walking west on West 93rd with another man when a person walked up to the two, LAPD Det. Rick Gordon said.
There was a short verbal confrontation, then the man pulled out a gun and shot at White and the other man.
White was pronounced dead at 9:45 a.m. at the scene, according to coroner’s records. The other man with White was not injured.
The gunman got into a vehicle and drove away. Police are still working on a vehicle description.
Jose Juan Mendez, a 16-year-old Latino, was shot by Los Angeles police Saturday, Feb. 6, near South Lorena and East 6th streets in Boyle Heights, according to Los Angeles County coroner’s records.
About 10:45 p.m., officers spotted a stolen vehicle and began following the male driver, LAPD Officer Rosario Herrera said.
Police Chief Charlie Beck told reporters Tuesday that when officers approached the vehicle, the driver “armed himself with a sawed-off shotgun,” resulting in the shooting.
The driver, later identified as Mendez, was close to officers but said he did not know whether the teen pointed the gun at police.
The chief said he expected to learn more about the deadly encounter during an in-depth briefing in the coming days.
Mendez was pronounced dead at the scene at 10:56 p.m., according to coroner’s records.
No officers were injured during the confrontation, Herrera said.
The fear in the Montecito Heights neighborhood of Los Angeles lingered long after the grisly discovery last fall of two teenagers killed at Ernest E. Debs Regional Park.
Some locals changed their daily routines, avoiding favorite hiking trails or nightly walks. Others stayed away from the popular park altogether.
As the months progressed without an arrest, residents would stop and ask Roy Payan, a member of the neighborhood council, what was happening with the investigation.“Are you sure LAPD cares about us?” they asked him.
On Thursday, authorities announced a break in the case as Los Angeles County prosecutors charged two accused gang members with carrying out the brutal killings.
Prosecutors allege that Dallas Stone Pineda, 17, and Jose Antonio Echeverria, 18, killed the two teenagers to further the activities of a gang, according to a complaint filed by the district attorney's office.
The murder charges come more than ...
A 22-year-old man has been charged with murder in the December 2015 shooting death of another man in San Gabriel, authorities said.
Giorgio Steve Rios is scheduled to be arraigned Feb. 23 in Department 5 of Los Angeles County Superior Court in Alhambra, according to Sarah Ardalani, a spokeswoman for the Los Angeles County district attorney's office.
Steven Escobar, a 29-year-old Alhambra resident, was visiting with three friends in the front yard of a San Gabriel home about 7 p.m. Dec. 6 when Rios, wearing a dark-hooded sweatshirt rode up to the group on a push scooter, according to Los Angeles County sheriff's Lt. Joe Mendoza.
Rios exchanged a few words with the men, then fired a single round into the group, striking Escobar in the chest, authorities say. He fled on foot, leaving his scooter behind. Escobar was pronounced dead at a hospital a ...
As she struggled to fit a couch through the door of the new location of her Studio City pet store, Rachel Kennedy sighed audibly, remembering a time when handiwork around the shop came easier.
Her brother, Josh Sutter, “could build anything,” Kennedy said. “He could fix anything.”
Standing under a painted memorial to Sutter that read “Always in my mind, forever in my heart,” Kennedy and Sandra Vasquez, Sutter’s girlfriend, laughed bitterly. He would have completed the task in half the time.
“We said, ‘Josh would have figured this out,’ ” Vasquez said. “We joke and we say every day, ‘How are we surviving?’ ”
In January 2015, Sutter, 36, was fatally stabbed in a Palmdale home that was meant to become a haven for rescue dogs. Last month, as the one-year anniversary inched closer, Ricardo Medina, 36, was charged in the killing.
Medina, who appeared in two versions of the ...
The Los Angeles County district attorney’s office has charged a transient with capital murder, accusing him of bludgeoning an elderly La Verne couple to death and stealing the wife’s cellphone.
Luke Fabela, 23, was charged in the deaths of Shirley Isom, 74, and Armie "Troy" Isom, 89, the owners of a construction business who were found in their hillside estate on Roughrider Road on Dec. 26, 2014. Nothing had been removed from the 80-acre property except Shirley Isom’s cellphone, according to a statement released Wednesday.
Shirley Isom, who suffered stab wounds and blunt force trauma, died at the scene of what authorities called an extremely bloody attack. Her husband was taken to a hospital, where he died later that day.
Fabela has been charged with two counts of murder with the special circumstance of multiple murders in the commission of a robbery; one count of second-degree robbery ...